My to-bake list is looooong. And it’s comprised of all sorts of things. But Spritz cookies weren’t something that really interested me. That is, until I saw a photo and recipe by Katerina from diethood.com on Pinterest. What’s this? Pumpkin Spice Spritz cookies that break away from the traditional holiday recipe we all grew up with? That’s just crazy (and I love it!) Plus, the colors Katerina used were breathtaking. Not the mottled green and red from my childhood. Our dough was always blotchy because we didn’t have the patience to mix the food coloring in all the way. What can I say, we were kids.
How to make Pumpkin Spice Spritz cookies
This recipe also gave me the opportunity to buy a new kitchen gadget. And boy-o-boy do I love tools! The OXO cookie press has a plate to make these spritzy Autumn leaves. So, I picked one up to give it a try and found I was in for another surprise. No twisting? No watching the dough from a crouched position with my head cocked sideways to see when to yank the contraption up so the dough sticks to the cookie sheet and breaks free of the stencil disc?! Spritz making has come a long way, baby. The OXO cookie press is so easy. A single push of the handle dispenses exactly the right amount of dough. I love modern technology. And I love these cookies. The hint of pumpkin spice makes them seasonal and the cheerful colors make the special. I’ll be watching Katerina for more to-bake list ideas, that’s for sure!
Pumpkin Spice Spritz Cookies
Yield 60 cookies
- 2 sticks (16 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Orange & red gel food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
- Combine butter and sugar in your mixer's bowl; beat with an electric mixer until fluffy and combined, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and the egg; mix to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and pumpkin spice.
- Add to the butter mixture and, with electric mixer on low, continue to mix until combined.
- Add a few drops of food color (if using) and mix until combined.
- Fill the cookie press with cookie batter.
- Press the cookies onto parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake until firm and golden, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand 2 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.