Red velvet independence day cupcakes! I’ve got 24 of these cuties packed for the holiday weekend at the lake. And I can’t wait! The air will be warm and the water cool. The grill will be smoking and the beer will be flowing. We’ll light fireworks and play games. Make s’mores and sleep under the stars. It’s time to wander and be free! Happy Independence Day!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 235 grams (1 cup) self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 250 grams (1 cup) caster sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 270 grams (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon red gel food coloring
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375º. Line cupcake pan(s) with 24 paper cupcake cups.
- Sift flour, sugar and cocoa powder into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add sea salt, butter and eggs and beat for 60 seconds.
- Mix the buttermilk, vanilla and coloring gel in a small bowl. Add to the batter mixture and beat for another 20 seconds, or until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, then give the mix a final blast for a few seconds.
- In a cup, mix baking soda and vinegar. As soon as you do this, it will start to fizz. Working quickly, pour the bubbling mixture into the cake batter and mix very briefly to incorporate. Give the batter a final mix by hand.
- Using a 3 tablespoon ice cream scoop (leveled with a knife), drop batter into paper cups. No need to smooth it out.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until they spring back when touched. watching carefully to avoid brown toasted edges.
- Leave to cool transferring to a wire rack after 5 minutes.
TIP: These cupcakes are good at rising. If they overflow, try baking at 400º (for 16-18 minutes) and/or using non-convection mode and/or fill the cups with less batter for the next batch.
Source: The Cake Book by Cupcake Jemma
Serving Size 43 grams
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 10.06 g
Saturated Fat 6.082 g
Trans Fat 0.373 g
Cholesterol 55 mg
Sodium 246 mg
Total Carbohydrates 17.97 g
Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
Sugars 10.37 g
Protein 2.21 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Vanilla Bean Buttercream
Makes enough for 24 cupcakes
- 300 g (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- 675 g (2 3/4 cups) icing sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds only
- Beat butter on medium high speed until pale and smooth. About 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract (and vanilla bean) to milk, mix to incorporate and set aside.
- Add icing sugar to butter in two stages, mixing well after each batch.
- Gradually add the vanilla milk mixture and beat for another 3-5 minutes or until almost white.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and give it one last blast to blend it all together.
Source: Cupcake Jemma